Where People Connect
Kern's Bakery is a 16-acre mixed-use destination situated along Chapman Highway in the New South Waterfront District just over the Henley Street Bridge from downtown Knoxville and the University of Tennessee Campus.
Inclusive of a transformation of the nationally-registered historic Kern's Bakery building, this multi-phase development calls for fully-furnished one- and- two bedroom apartments, retail, restaurants, workspaces, entertainment and a hotel. This destination serves as the trailhead for the 30-mile G&O Trail and connects downtown to Knoxville's Urban Wilderness, 50 miles of trails and greenways.
Led by Brantley Basinger and Alex Dominguez, principals of Mallory & Evans Partners, LLC, Kern's Bakery is one of the first development deals in the nation to close in an opportunity zone. The financial investment by Ozone Capital Management, LLC into the multi-family community and to redevelop this historic site will stimulate economic activity and job creation in the South Knoxville market.
In The News
- Representative food halls similar to Kern's Bakery vision
Food halls: A world of flavors under one roof CBS Sunday Morning
- Ed Lee, developer of Marietta Market Food Hall, joining Kern's Bakery team
Explore Marietta Market Food Hall My Marietta
- Kern's Bakery Named Opportunity Zone Redevelopment Achievement Knoxville News Sentinel, September 17, 2019
- Opportunity Zone Redevelopment Achievement GlobeSt.com, Ingrid Tunberg, September 09, 2019
- InterFace Panelists Predict More Variety, Less Food for Future Mixed-Use Projects REBusinessOnline, Alex Patton, August, 29, 2019
- OZ Redevelopment Plans for Historic Bakery Site Unveiled Globest.com, Tanya Sterling, July 23, 2019
- Kern's Bakery development's 'food hall' concept part of a national trend Knoxville News Sentinel, Brenna McDermott, July 3, 2019
- Historic Tennessee Site Slated for 16-acre Redevelopment Real Assets Adviser, Institutional Real Estate, Inc., May 31, 2019
- Wondering About Kern's Bakery's Future? We Got a Sneak Peak WVLT News, CBS 8, May 31, 2019
- Mallory & Evans Partners Acquires Site Within Knoxville Opportunity Zone REBusinessOnline, Alex Tostado, May 31, 2019
- New Ownership Bring New Plans and New Life to the Kern's Bakery Site Inside of Knoxville, Knoxville Urban Guy, May 31, 2019
- New developer now planning for future of Kern's Bakery site in South Knox WBIR-TV, NBC 10 News, May 31, 2019
- Historic Tennessee Site Slated for 16-acre Redevelopment Institute for Real Estate Operating Companies, May 30, 2019
- SoKno: Kern's Bakery Version 3—Phase One with Changes KnoxViews, May 30, 2019
- South Knox project Kern's Bakery has new plans for multifamily, retail and food Knoxville News Sentinel, Brenna McDermott, May 30, 2019